The UN Secretary General has come with up a list of daunting world problems, and I strongly agree with him. Here is the summary version of the list that he presented at the start of the General Assembly Session at the United Nations today:
- Combating global warming
- Fighting poverty
- Ending the conflict in Sudan’s Darfur region
- An end to violence, an end to occupation, the creation of a Palestinian state at peace with itself and Israel, and a comprehensive regional peace between Israel and the Arab world
- Fixing Iraq, “the whole world’s problem”
- Promoting political negotiations and national reconciliation, and dealing with drug trafficking and terrorism in Afghanistan
Let me add a few more items to the list that Sec-Gen Ban Ki-Moon did not mention:
- Dealing with Unstable Iran
- Dealing with Polluting China
- Dealing with China’s growing influence in the developing world and its reluctance promote democracy and freedoms in various parts of the world.
Did I miss anything? Feel free to add to the list of daunting global problems.